Half Assini (W/R) Jan. 18, GNA- A three-year old boy, Kojo Besi was burnt to death, while property worth thousands of Ghana cedis were destroyed when fire gutted a house at Half Assini, at the weekend.
The Jomoro District Commander of Ghana National Fire Service; Division Officer Class III, Joseph Boubae made this known to newsmen.
He said at about 2130 hours on Friday, January 16, the mother of the boy, Madam Akuah Fua, a fishmonger from Emmuna near Narkwa in the Central Region, who is resident at Half Assini lit a candle in her room where her four children were sleeping and attended a wake-keeping in the neighbourhood.
Division Officer Boubae said some neighbours in the area saw the room on fire and raised the alarm.
He said 11-year-old Michael Boadu, the elder brother of the deceased, managed to rescue his siblings from the room, but the fire escalated, making it very difficult to enter the room to save Kojo who was burnt to death.
The body has been deposited at the Half Assini Government Hospital mortuary for autopsy while police investigation continues, he said.
He said in a related event fire gutted a building near the Half Assini Secondary School and rendered 12 people and their dependants homeless and destroyed their property.