Eight people out of nine passengers kidnapped by gunmen in the eastern Afghan province of Ghazni earlier on Sunday have been released unharmed, a local official said.
“I do confirm that eight travelers seized by gunmen near provincial capital Ghazni city have been released. They are safe. But one person still remains in the attackers’ custody,” Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, deputy provincial governor, told Xinhua.
Security forces launched an operation to locate and rescue the victims, the source said.
On Saturday, the security forces halted a search operation after they failed to ensure the safe release of 30 Hazara ethnic commuters, who were kidnapped in neighboring Zabul province late last month.
Nearly 3,700 civilians were killed and more than 6,800 wounded in conflicts and Taliban-led attacks in 2014, according to official figures released by the UN mission in Afghanistan. Enditem