Fire outbreak at the control room of the Brong Ahafo regional branch of the Volta River Authority left the Sunyani municipality and some surrounding communities in darkness. The incident which lasted for some time was said to have started from the panel room of the Sunyani VRA offices.
Ghana News Agency (GNA) investigations revealed that one staff of the Authority who was at the panel room was seriously injured and was rushed to the Sunyani Government Hospital but was later transferred to the Komfo Anokye Teching Hospital in Kumasi.
The name of the injured staff was not readily available.
The Brong Ahafo Regional Office of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) when contacted confirmed the incident and stated that the office had a distressed call from the VRA around 0900 hours about the incident and therefore responded immediately.
Assistant Divisional Officer II, Karim Alhassan, Municipal Operational Officer of the Service explained that the panel room was in flames with thick smoke when their officers reached the place.
He said the officers were able to ventilate the place to allow a certain amount of smoke out before they could enter to put the fire off at about 1048 hours.
A D O Alhassan said the Service would soon team up with the technical men of VRA in their investigations to identify the source of the fire and the extent of damage caused to properties at the place.