African regional bloc to cease activities in Lesotho until August – Zuma

The Southern African Development Community (SADC) will cease all activities in Lesotho until August, South African President Jacob Zuma said on Monday.

0
Jacob Zuma
Jacob Zuma

This followed the Extra-Ordinary Summit of the SADC’s Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation taking place in Gaborone, Botswana, according to Zuma.

Jacob Zuma
Jacob Zuma
The summit discussed the political and security situation in the SADC region, paying particular attention to the situation in Lesotho.

The meeting decided to take no further action in Lesotho for the next few months following a failure to reach consensus on the report of the Commission of Inquiry that investigated the death of former Lesotho army commander Maaparankoe Mahao, Zuma said.

The SADC will meet again in August to discuss the report rejected by Lesotho.

According to Zuma, the SADC will release the report with or without Lesotho consensus when it meets again.
If Lesotho still refuses to accept the report, it would be suspended, according to the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).

The SADC set up the Commission of Inquiry to look into the death of Mahao who was was killed in June last year after being sacked by Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili.

Mosisili won the elections last February following an attempted coup in August 2014. He fired Mahao after taking office.

Mahao’s death plunged Lesotho into chaos again, prompting the SADC to send a team of experts to investigate the circumstances surrounding his death. Enditem

Source: Xinhua

Send your news stories to newsghana101@gmail.com and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here