AGF denies knowledge of Salami’s re-instatement
From JULIANA TAIWO-OBALONYE, Abuja
Thursday, May 17, 2012
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke (SAN), has denied knowledge of reinstatement of the suspended President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Salami, by the National Judicial Council, saying he has not been officially briefed.
Cornered by State House correspondents to react to why the Federal Government was yet to act on the NJC order, Adoke said he just returned to the country from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on Tuesday and he was yet to be officially briefed on the development that occurred while he was away.
He said until when properly briefed and he cited a copy of the recommendation from the NJC, he would not comment on the development, adding that doing so was akin to reacting to “mob action.”
He said, “I have not been briefed on the matter. I just returned to the country from Addis Ababa last night. Attorney-Generals don’t just open their mouth and talk. Until when I am briefed and I see the letter, I can’t be reacting to mob action.
“Believe me honestly, I can’t mislead you. I think Reuben Abati (the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity) has told you that the President has not received the letter. I am waiting to be briefed.”
The NJC had last week Thursday recommended the reinstatement of Salami who was suspended on the heels of a disagreement he had with the then Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Aloysius Katsina-Alu. A week after the decision of the NJC however, President Goodluck Jonathan is yet to reinstate him, fuelling speculations that he is under pressure especially from his party, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party to ensure that Salami is not reinstated.