Akatsi South: Police assures of maximum security over burial of a 22 year old man

Police Visit
Police Visit

The Volta Regional Police Command has assured the family of Etornam Avulekpor, a 22 year old man who died a few days after he was arrested by the Police at Akatsi in the Volta region of their maximum security.

The arrest, on Wednesday, November 3 was targeted by the Police to clamp down on some criminal activities within the Akatsi South Municipality.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP), Mr Edward Oduro -Kwateng, Volta Regional Police Commander, has assured the family of the deceased of providing security during the final burial rites of the deceased, which is slated for Sunday, December 19.

Mr Kwateng gave the assurance during a visit to the family of the deceased.

He called for calm among members of the family as well as friends of the deceased.

Mr Kwateng, who was accompanied by Chief Superintendent of Police, Mr Anyidoho Felix, the Volta Regional Crime Officer and Chief Superintendent Opare Addo, the Sogakope Divisional Police Commander, revealed the autopsy report on the deceased was ready and that his outfit would engage the family anytime soon for briefing.

Mr Prince Avulekpor, uncle of the deceased during the visit disclosed, they would liaise with the police for further updates on the death of their son.

He said the family was making plans to put to rest the mortal remains of Etornam Avulekpor.

Earlier on Friday, November 5, there was growing tension at Akatsi in the Akatsi South Municipality of the Volta region, following an attack on the police station over the death of the deceased where relatives and some youth of the town agitated over the incident, alleging it was due to police brutality.

The late ‘Etornam’ was transferred to the Ho Teaching Hospital from Akatsi after he was arrested to receive further medical attention where he passed on whilst on admission.

The situation, which caused the wrath of the youth, massed up and went to the police station area to express dissatisfaction over the alleged beating of the deceased leading to his death.

The melee, later resulted in the injury of some agitating youth in an attempt by the rampaging youth to attack Chief Superintendent Atsu Joseph Dzineku, the then Akatsi South Municipal Police Commander.

The situation also resulted in the throwing of stones and other offensive objects and burning of lorry tyres near the Police station.

However, the situation was brought under control after some chiefs and elders, as well as the Municipal Chief Executive of the area appealed for calm as they sought justice for the deceased.

Dr George Akuffo Dampare, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) has since visited the area and appealed for calm as they work to ensure peace returns to the area.

Send your news stories to newsghana101@gmail.com and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here