Mrs Charlotte Osei, Chair of the Electoral Commission, is a “disgrace to womanhood”, disqualified flag bearer of the All People’s Congress (APC), Mr Hassan Ayariga has said.
An obviously angry Mr Ayariga also described Mrs Osei as a “tyrant,” who “must be jailed” for flouting directives of the Supreme Court as far as allowing him and all other previously disqualified presidential candidates to contest in the December 7 polls is concerned.
Mr Ayariga told Prince Minkah in an interview on Class91.3FM’s Executive Breakfast Show on Thursday, 10 November that his disqualification from the race for the second time in a row smacks of revenge.
Even though he will not put it down to his description of the EC boss as “stupid” and “foolish” when he first got disqualified, Mr Ayariga said there could be a potpourri of reasons which Mrs Osei may have against him, thus, her refusal to allow him to take part in the December polls.
On Wednesday, the EC said Nana Konadu Agyeman-Rawlings (NDP), Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom (PPP), and Dr Edward Mahama (PNC) have been accepted back into the presidential race to join four others: Nana Akufo-Addo, Mr John Mahama, Mr Ivor Greenstreet, and Mr Jacob Osei Yeboah who were initially accepted into the race.
On the other hand, the nominations of Mr Ayariga and seven others were rejected for the second time. The others include Dr Nana Agyenim Boateng (United Front Party), T.N Ward Brew (Democratic People’s Party), Akua Donkor (Ghana Freedom Party), Kofi Akpaloo (Independent People’s Party), Dr Nixon Tetteh (United Development System Party), Dr Henry Lartey (Great Consolidated Popular Party) and Alfred Kwame Asiedu walker (Independent).
Also, two nominees withdrew from the race. They include Akwasi Addae Odike of the United Progressive Party and Kwabena Agyei of the Reformed Patriotic Democrats.
The previously disqualified flag bearers were allowed into the race following a suit by Dr Nduom against the election management body at an Accra High Court over his disqualification. The High court ruled in his favour, asking the EC to accord him the opportunity to correct the errors. Dissatisfied with the High court’s ruling, the EC went to the Supreme Court to get the order it was given quashed. However, the apex court affirmed the high Court’s ruling, and asked the EC to allow Dr Nduom and all the previously disqualified flag bearers to correct the errors on their forms so they could be given the opportunity to rejoin the race.