Managers of both media houses that were suspended following the failed coup on May 13, 2015 signed the commitment act at the office of the National Media Council (CNC).

Radio“The crisis that hit Burundi also hit some media houses. We closely followed the judicial proceedings of the suspension of some media houses and we are glad that two of those media houses have been allowed to reopen their programs,” said Burundian National Media Council (CNC) Chairman Richard Giramahoro.

He indicated that some media houses were suspended due to their “unprofessionalism.”

“We think that the signing of a commitment act by the two media houses is a new departure for a real professionalism,” Giramahoro said.

The Managing Director of Rema Radio and Television Claude Nkurunziza said that he is glad that his media has been allowed to reopen.

“We are committed to respect the country’s laws and rules and the media law. We are also committed to promote peace journalism,” said Nkurunziza.

Last year on May 13 and 14, six media houses were suspended from working for failing to work professionally and most of them were destroyed.

Burundi’s crisis broke out in April 2015 following the announcement by Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza that he would be seeking a third term.

His candidature, which was opposed by the opposition and civil society groups, resulted in a wave of protests, violence and a failed coup on May 13, 2015.

Over 400 persons are reported to have been killed since then. Enditem

Source: Xinhua

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

Previous articlePregnant Arik Airline passenger dies from complications
Next articleTogbe Afede Resourced All Volta Traditional Councils
News Ghana is a premier news source that covers daily news of Ghana, Africa and the World over.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here