64 rent related cases were reported at the regional rent control department in Cape Coast within the 1 quarter of this year.

Most of the cases were reported by Landlords and it bordered on claims or offenses. About 98% of the cases were amicably settled at the rent control department while the other 2% were referred to the Court for adjudication.

The Central Regional Rent Control Officer, Mr Alex Ebo Dugan,  identified the monopolistic power wielded by Landlords as a result of government’s failure to build more affordable houses for the rise in rent related conflict and misunderstanding.

Landlords, he said do not even obey rent policies as they feel they are doing tenants a favour by giving them a place to stay.

Mr. Ebo also cited the Rent control Act of 1963 as having some weaknesses which landlords are taking advantage of the tenants.

He therefore, urged government to consider building more affordable houses to take away the monopoly from private house owners and to also ease the burden of tenants.

source :ghana/Ultimatefmonline.com/106.9FM/Kwaku Baah- Acheanfour 

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 234-972-832