A Chinese construction company has promised to resume construction works at an economic zone in Chibombo district in the Central Province of Zambia.
The decision came after a call by Zambia’s President Edgar Lungu in his latest address on COVID-19 in the context of the “New Normal”. During the Zambia president’s national address on May 8, he said government urged some sectors to resume operations despite the incidence of the disease escalating.
However, he advised adherence to the preventive measures. He said that this was to ensure a balance between people’s health and economic health.
Bob Fu, Jiangxi United Industrial Investment Limited business assistant manager, said on Thursday that the firm would resume works at the Chibombo Industrial Park.
He disclosed that the company had since embarked on a bidding process for a qualified sub-contractor to work on a power sub-station, filling station, logistics, and comprehensive service center.
Fu said that the works which had halted due to the COVID-19 outbreak would resume and about 20 workers who were sent home would report back within a week to speed up the works at the facility.
He said that only about 30 full-time employees had been working at the construction site just to provide security and maintenance works since the outbreak of COVID-19.
He said that despite the construction works resuming, the company would not operate at full capacity in order to ensure that disease prevention was enhanced.
He also said that more than 500 job opportunities have been created for the local people since the project started. Enditem