Ghanaian boxer Richard Commey (30-4, 27 KOs) says he still has ambitions of becoming a two-time world champion despite being dominated by Vasiliy Lomachenko.
The 34-year old Ghanaian who is a former titlist recorded his fourth career loss after Lomachenko displayed some ruthless agility to win by unanimous decision in the main event of the “Top Rank Boxing on ESPN” card at New York City’s Madison Square Garden on Sunday.
Commey despite his good early start to the bout couldn’t contain the speed of Lomachenko and was dropped in the seventh round and was nearly stopped.
But Commey’s corner didn’t throw in the towel as he went full throttle in the bout of which Lomachenko won by scores of 119-108, 119-108 and 117-110.
Speaking after the defeat and what next for him in his career, Commey said: “My ambitions are the same. I want to be a two-time world champion. As long as my people believe in me, I would always represent them.”
When asked about his thoughts as to what transpired during the bout, Commey explained: “I took my eye off him for a second, and then boom! I just took my eyes off him, and then that’s it. It is what it is. He’s a great fighter. I did what I had to do. I’m good. I’m not hurt. Nothing happened to me.”
“He’s a little bit quicker. He throws combinations very well and that’s what makes him special,” Commey who was taken to hospital as a precaution said after the bout.
The win for Lomanchenko could set him up with a fight against Australian boxer George Kambosos Jr who is currently WBA, IBF and WBO lightweight titles after beating Teofimo Lopez in a split-decision victory last week.