The Secretary General of the All Africa Students’ Union(AASU) and Ghana’s representative to AASU ,Mr Fred Awah ,has been dismissed with immediate effect by the National Union of Ghana Students(NUGS) for engaging in fraud which has tarnished the image of Ghana at both the continental level and the international diplomatic community.
Mr Awah, at the ongoing AASU Delegates Congress in Khartoum,Sudan has fraudulently chosen his friends and cronies as official representatives of national student unions across Africa including Ghana,Liberia,Sierra Leone among others for the purposes of electing his friends into office as his tenure as Secretary General of the continental student body ends this weekend.
This revelation came to light yesterday Thursday when the NUGS President Mr Julian M. Cobbinah and his executives addressed a press conference to declare the immediate withdrawal of Mr Awah’s candidature as the Union’s representative to AASU.
“We have by this public issuance and many others copied to the media, withdrawn the elective capacity of Fred Awah as NUGS rep to AASU upon which he stands in the portfolio as Secretary General”, it orders
It further stated that “the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) is not represented at the Congress and anyone holding him or herself as NUGS representative at the illegal forum is IMPERSONATING the representative capacity of the entire students of Ghana.”
The Union representatives who were supposed to have left Ghana to Sudan to participate in the ongoing congress were denied visas to travel because Mr Awah had replaced their names with his friends’ and one Peter Kodjie’s who carries himself fraudulently as NUGS representative to AASU and campaigning to be elected as the next Secretary General of ASSU
NUGS has accordingly alerted all Foreign Missions,AASU and other major stakeholders of its denunciation of the illegal congress going on in Sudan and appealed to them to arrest the situation in the utmost interest of the African student.
Below is a full copy of the press statement:
NUGS DENOUNCES ILLEGAL AASU CONGRESS
The National Union of Ghana Students wishes to inform the student community and the entire nation of happenings concerning the 2016 All Africa Student Union Congress.
NUGS brings the following salient issues to the attention of stakeholders
1. The Union categorically DENOUNCES the said Congress happening in Sudan and
pronounces same as ILLEGALITY.
2. Reason for the aforementioned position being that Student Unions across the Continent namely the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS), the Liberian National Student Union (LiNSU), the National Union of Sierra Leonean Students (NUSS), the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), have not been invited and are not represented thus quorum has not been formed to transact the business of Congress as it properly should be.
3. The Secretary General, whose legitimacy is suspended by this public issue, has only aggregated crowds at the venue in Sudan by inviting friends, cronies who are not Student Leaders but have held themselves to be for purposes of executing the agenda of this illegal Congress.
4. We have by this public issuance and many others copied to the media, withdrawn the elective capacity of Fred Awah as NUGS rep to AASU upon which he stands in the portfolio as Secretary General.
5. We are clarifying, for the avoidance of doubt, that the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) is not represented at the Congress and anyone holding him or herself as NUGS representative at the illegal forum is IMPERSONATING the representative capacity of the entire students of Ghana.
6. We have alerted all Foreign Missions and departments involved with AASU of this issue and it is our expectation that they act to resolve this issue in the interest of Ghanaian students.
We respectfully bring to your attention.
Source: The Gazette