GNFS deepens education on fire in Assin North Municipality

Ghana National Fire Service

The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), has stepped up coverage of fire prevention and safety awareness education in the Assin North Municipality to stem the tide of fire outbreaks in the area.

The campaign formed part of the renewed efforts by the GNFS towards educating citizens on the occurrence of fires especially during the second half of the year.

Speaking at a fire safety campaign programme for traders and market women at Assin Fosu Central Market over the weekend, Assistance Divisional Officer 2 (ADO 2), Norbert Amo Sarfo, the Municipal Fire Safety Officer, praised the people for helping to drastically reduce fire outbreaks from 28 to 12 between January and August of 2016 and 2017 respectively.

He mentioned the kinds of fire outbreaks to include domestic, motor traffic and industrial fires and urged the general public to pay particular attention to fire safety measures to help further reduce fire outbreaks in the area.

ADO2 Amo Sarfo who is also the Second In Command, said the GNFS was committed to reducing fire outbreaks and its attendant fatalities and tasked the public to avoid acts that could cause domestic fires.

The Municipal Fire Safety Officer indicated that public education programmes were critical and therefore expressed the determination of the GNFS to continually educate the public to help reduce the menace especially in homes and public places.

He stressed the need for homeowners to have many exit routes in houses to enable them escape during fire outbreaks and other emergency situations

Earlier, the personnel organized a float through the principal streets of the municipality and mounted a photo exhibition on fire hazards and simulation exercises on how fire could be doused in homes.

The fire officers also staged a performance on fire-fighting at the central market and proceeded with demonstrations on how to use various safety equipment such as blanket and extinguishers to douse fire.

ADO 2, Samuel Mensah, Municipal Fire Operations Officer explained the concepts of fire safety to the gathering and underscored the essence of ensuring that all electrical gadgets were handled with care whilst optimum procedures were observed during cooking at home.
He said it was incumbent on homeowners and businesses to ensure fire safety measures to protect lives and properties.
In addition, he advised home owners to avoid using quack and unregistered electricians and avoid carelessness or improper handling of electrical gadgets.

The exercise attracted scores of market women, traders, drivers, students and the general public.

Source: GNA/

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here