The government of Ghana has announced an initiative to provide food for up to 400,000 individuals and homes in the affected areas of the restrictions.
The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo, made the announcement in a televised broadcast on his fifth update on measures taken against the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
He said the programme which is in collaboration with a number of Ministries began in Accra on April 05 and would be replicated in the Ashanti Region on April O6, 2020.
“It will come in the form of dry food packages and hot meals, and will be delivered to vulnerable communities in Accra, Tema, Kumasi and Kasoa,” he stated.
“Through this Programme, the Ministries of Gender, Children and Social Protection and Local Government and Rural Development, and the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), working with Metropolitan and Municipal District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) and the faith-based organisations to make life easy for the vulnerable,” he said.
Government on March 30, 2020 issued a two weeks lockdown on some constituencies and districts to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
The programme, however, seeks to provide for the vulnerable who would find it difficult to fend for themselves during the restriction.
Ghana has so far confirmed 214 cases of the disease with death toll at five, three persons have fully recovered and two in a critical condition.
According to the President, he was encouraged by the appreciation shown of Government’s handling of the pandemic, and the offer of support by the leadership of the major political parties in the country.
“I applaud Parliament’s decision to call off its planned recess, and be on standby to aid in the fight against the virus,” he added.
President Akuffo Addo expressed appreciation to staff of the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, the Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research, and the National Public Health Reference Laboratory of the Korle-bu Teaching Hospital for the solid work they are doing for Mother Ghana.
He again expressed gratitude to the individuals and institutions, who have responded to his appeal for donations to be made into the COVID-19 National Trust Fund.
The President asked Ghanaians for their continued patience, support, vigilance and adherence to the measures.
“Let each one of us play his or her part to enhance our collective efforts at containing the spread of the virus, which will enable us to hasten the lifting of these restrictions, and returning the nation to normalcy,” he said.