Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hanna Tetteh, has said she is under no pressure to be a signatory to the petition aimed at getting President John Mahama to pardon the jailed ‘Montie 3.’
Nonetheless, she believes the sentence handed the trio; Salifu Maase, a radio host and his two guests, Ako Gunn and Alistair Nelson was harsh, but she will not join the petitioners.
Speaking on Ghana Report Monday on Viasat One, Ms Tetteh, however, stated that those who backed the petition are entitled to it, but she did not think it was for her to.
“If this becomes precedence so that going forward, everybody else who is seen to have spoken contemptuously of the court gets four months and above, well then I guess it is a principle that we can all accept,” she told Bernard Avle, host of the show.
Also, she added if the President could reduce their sentence, “it will be welcomed.”
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) condemned the sentencing, describing it “shocking” and “harsh.”
The party said: “While respecting the verdict of the court and reiterating our condemnation of the utterances and comments made by the three, the party is extremely disappointed and saddened by the severity and harshness of the punishments imposed on them.”
The three were last month slapped with a four-month jail term for scandalizing the court.
Chief of Staff Julius Debrah Monday on behalf of President Mahama presented to the Council of State petitions received in respect of the incarceration of the trio.
The petitions were received from lawyers of the jailed three.
Presenting the petitions to the chairperson of the Council, Madam Cecilia Johnson, Mr. Debrah said the President is looking forward to the advice of the Council.
The chairperson said that the petitions will be submitted to the Legal Committee of the Council for initial review before the Council as a whole meets to consider the issues.
Source: Ghana/Starrfmonline.com/103.5FM/Mohammed Awal