Former Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Gago has expressed a desire to return to football as he recovers from his fifth major injury in as many years.

Gago underwent surgery on his right knee after tearing tissue grafted to the joint in a previous operation while playing for Velez Sarsfield in their 1-1 home draw with Aldosivi in the Argentinian Superliga on January 30.

The 33-year-old said he will know by July or August if his body can recover from the latest setback, which follows three Achilles tendon tears and a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament since 2015.

“I am going to try to continue playing, I decided two weeks ago that I was going to give it a shot,” Gago said in an interview broadcast on Argentinian television on Monday.

“I want to see how the knee responds but I think it will respond well because this has been easier than other [recoveries]. I will do everything that’s within my reach.

“One of the great things that gives me strength is going out onto the pitch, kicking a ball, being in a locker room. After everything I’ve gone through, I see things in a different way. I’m looking forward to [returning]. The day I don’t have that desire, I’ll be the one who decides [to stop].”

The playmaker said he expects to begin light exercise in June. Last month, Velez technical director Pablo Cavallero said Gago would be free to resume training with the club beyond his current contract, which expires next month.

Gago, who played for Real Madrid from 2007 to 2012, has been capped 71 times for Argentina’s national team and was a member of the Albiceleste squad that finished second at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Enditem

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.