The Intensive Burns Care Unit of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), the nation?s second largest referral facility, recorded five deaths during the first quarter of the year.
The victims were made up of three kids and two adults.
Ms. Coretta Ofosuwaah, a Senior Staff Nurse at the Unit, told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) that a total of 34 cases were seen during the period.
She identified gas explosions, hot oils, electrical faults and naked fires as the main causes of those burns.
She therefore advised the people to be wary of defective gas cylinders, saying that, these must be disposed off to ensure safety.
Ms Ofosuwaah also spoke of the need to step up fire prevention education campaign to drastically reduce the incidence of domestic and industrial fires.
She expressed the gratefulness of the Unit to the Glorious Praise Chorae, a non-denominational singing group, for donating GH?1,000 and large quantity of fruits in support of the in-patients.
The gesture was in fulfillment of a promise made to the Unit by the group to assist take care of those on admission.
Ms. Ofosuwaah appealed to corporate bodies and civil society organizations to be supportive of the Unit to aid efficient care.
Mr William Kwarteng, Spokesperson for the singing Group, pledged regular visits to the Unit and reminded parents to be vigilant and prevent their children from getting closer to naked fires to avoid suffering burns.