UNHCR logo
UNHCR logo

Donors commitment to meeting the needs of the 852,721 refugees registered in Ethiopia as of August 31 is being hit hard by other international crises, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Speaking to Xinhua on Friday, Kisut Gebreegziabher, Assistant Communications Officer at UNHCR Ethiopia, said out of 335.4 million U.S. dollars requested for meeting refugee needs between January and August, only about 252.7 million dollars has been met.

Ethiopia is home to refugees from South Sudan, Yemen, Sudan, Eritrea and Somalia.

UNHCR relies on 98 percent of its financial needs from donor partners with the rest 2 percent met through own coffers.

“With multiple crises engulfing the world, the UNHCR is working on meeting its financial needs to service through efficient utilization of resources and soliciting funds from new donors,” said Gebreegziabher. Enditem

Source: Xinhua/NewsGhana.com.gh

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.