“We are not seeking escalation, but we will not be deterred from doing whatever is necessary to maintain security,” Netanyahu told his ministers at the start of their weekly cabinet meeting.
Addressing last week’s uncovering of a cross-border tunnel built by Hamas, the Islamist organization which controls Gaza, Netanyahu vowed to “continue to act as necessary to uncover and counter the threat of tunnels.”
“We will spare no resources and means in providing security to the residents of the area adjacent to the Gaza Strip,” he said.
The border was reported to be quiet on Sunday morning after four days of fire exchanges, the worst since Israel concluded its 51-day offensive in the Palestinian enclave in the summer of 2014.
Since Wednesday, Gaza militants fired 12 mortar rounds at Israeli soldiers and heavy machinery who were operating at the border to uncover tunnels extending from Gaza into Israeli territory. The fire caused no injuries or fatalities.
In response, Israel launched several artillery attacks and airstrikes. On Thursday, a tank shell killed a Palestinian woman in her home in Khan Yunis. Enditem