Kenya’s foreign ministry on Wednesday confirmed that two of its nationals have been affected in the latest wave of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
Monica Juma, foreign affairs cabinet secretary, condemned the ongoing violence and physical attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa said the two Kenyans are among thousands whose property were destroyed.
“We woke up to troubling news about xenophobic attacks against non-nationals in several places in South Africa,” said Juma in a statement issued in Nairobi.
“We welcome the strong condemnation of these attacks by the Government of South Africa and hope that the ethos and values of Pan Africanism will prevail over narrow nationalisms, and be the bonds that glue us together, as African brothers and sisters,” she added.
At least five people have been killed in the chaos that started last week in Tshwane, Pretoria. The police have rounded up more than 200 suspects behind the violence that flared Sunday in Johannesburg.
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa has already condemned a wave of looting and violence that has mostly targeted foreign nationals especially in Johannesburg.
“There can be no justification for any South African to attack people from other countries. We are against xenophobia. These attacks are completely against the rule of law,” said Ramaphosa on his official Twitter account.
Juma has assured Kenyans that the High Commission is working closely with South Africa to ensure the safety of its citizens.
“Our Embassy in South Africa is in close contact with the Government to ensure the safety of Kenyans and protection of their property,” said Juma. Enditem