Kenyan President on Sunday ruled out further talks with the striking doctors and directed them to return to work before any more talks.
State House Spokesperson Manoah Esipisu told journalists in Mombasa that Kenyatta ordered the doctors who have been on strike sine December 5, 2016 to resume work if they wish to have the government to engage them in more negotiations.
“President Kenyatta has directed that all doctors resume duty before any further negotiations can be convened,” he said.
The doctors have been demanding a 300 percent salary increment and improved working conditions at the public hospitals, where some 5,000 members are employed.
The government last week ordered the doctors to return to work, saying each and every doctor should negotiate their terms of work with their employers.
But the doctors union said the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), which defines the terms and conditions of service for union members of a professional body, was finalized and signed.
Esipisu said the president is aware of a statement from the doctor’s union requesting for more time to negotiate, but that his resolve is clear.
“We thank the doctors that have so far gone back to work. We note the union’s statement on the subject, which was sent to doctors last night. But the President’s resolve and message remain the same: there will be no more chicanery on this subject,” he said.
The doctors made the request after President Kenyatta last week said he had come to the end of his patience with the striking doctors who had rejected one of the best deals ever to be offered to a Kenyan public servant.
The doctors had rejected a 40 percent salary increase and a further 6 million U.S. dollars as backdated allowances. The government has now ordered the doctors to return to work or face the sack. Enditem