Kumasi, April 19, GNA – Disaster struck the Kumasi Central Market on Thursday morning as fire raced through some of the shops, the second time, in four days.
It ravaged property running into thousands of Cedis.
Large quantity of towels, bed sheets, nylon sponge, caustic-soda, pairs of wellington boots, turpentine and machetes were among items, lost to the blazing fire, which started at about 1000 hours.
The swift response of firefighters to the emergency and the traders helped to prevent it from spreading to cause more devastation.
The Metropolitan Fire Officer, Robert Atta Kumi, who led a team of firefighters to bring it down, praised the traders for their co-operation.
He said even before their arrival the people had brought out fire extinguishers and had begun battling the blaze.
He could not immediately give the cause of the fire but it is widely suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault.
Coming close on the heels of last Sunday’s fire incident, Mr Kumi, advised traders to avoid illegal power connection to their shops and the use of naked fire.
Madam Ama Dufie, one of the victims, gave high marks to the firefighters for their prompt response.

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.