Libya’s UN-backed government on Wednesday welcomed the call by the European Union (EU) for a ceasefire in the capital Tripoli, which is witnessing violent clashes between the government and the east-based army over control of the city.
On Monday, the EU Foreign Affairs Council expressed concern over the impact of the military actions against civilians in Tripoli, stressing that there is no military solution to the Libyan crisis and urging all Libyan parties to return to the UN-sponsored political dialogue.
The government welcomed the statement, stressing “determination to deter the aggression” and calling on countries supporting the army to “stop this support that is a clear violation to the resolution of the UN Security Council.”
“The Council calls on those countries to reconsider their unjustified stand and join the international community in seeking peace, stability and security in Libya and the entire region,” the government said in a statement.
Tripoli has been witnessing a military conflict between the east-based army and the government’s forces over the control of the city since early April.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said that the fighting so far has killed 454 people, injured 2,154 others, and displaced nearly 60,000 civilians.
Libya has been suffering escalating violence and political instability ever since the fall of late leader Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011. Enditem