dpa/GNA – A man on trial for a series of attacks targeting Turkish businesses in south-eastern Germany, confessed to the crimes in court on Tuesday.
“That’s all correct what you read out,” the 26-year-old German man of Kurdish heritage said, after the prosecution presented the charge sheet against him.
The man said he spent years watching Islamic State propaganda videos and was “subconsciously radicalized” as a result. He voiced his regret for the attacks.
The suspect was arrested following a spate of violence in the town of Waldkraiburg in April and May last year, in which Turkish-owned shops and businesses were vandalized with a foul-smelling liquid and one property was burnt down.
Four residents suffered smoke inhalation. Prosecutors said if they had not noticed the fire, they could have died.
The suspect has been charged with attempted murder on 31 counts, serious arson and planning a serious attack against the state.
The young man said he had realized while in custody that “the world is diverse and it’s not always about killing and fighting.”
His defence lawyer says the man may be suffering from mental illness.
The higher regional court in Munich, where the trial is taking place, has also said that the man could be placed in a psychiatric facility.