An explosion caused by a leak on a natural gas pipeline in Kilwa district in Tanzania’s southern region of Lindi wreaked havoc to residents in the area on Sunday afternoon.
“The explosion which created a black cloud of smoke sent residents in the area running to all directions to save their lives,” said an official with Kilwa district authorities.
After the incident had occurred a road stretch passing through the area was temporarily closed resulting in long queues of vehicles on both sides of the road, said the official.
The gas leaked at a station owned by the Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited whose employees sought help from guards at another gas station managed by the Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation at Madimba in Mtwara region, he said.
“There was a minor fault. Our engineers are working to rectify the fault,” said Nigel Whittaker, Songas Managing Director, adding that there was no casualty following the leak.
He said the firm has halted production of natural gas pending completion of the repair work.
Songas is a firm that generates electricity using gas from the Songo Songo Island gas fields , off the coast of southern Tanzania. Enditem