The alleged mastermind of the deadly April 14 blast in Nyanya, Abuja, Aminu Ogwuche, has been handed over to Nigeria by the International Police Organisation (INTERPOL) on Tuesday.
Ogwuche was alleged to be the brain behind deadly Nyanya bombings on April 14, which left no fewer than 118 persons dead and many more injured.
Ogwuche, who was handed over to the Interpol Unit of the Nigeria Police Force by the Sudanese authorities was flown into the country in a special flight from Khartoum, Sudan, which touched down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport at 3pm on Tuesday.
On hand to receive him at the Presidential wing of the airport were the spokespersons of the Police, ACP Frank Mba, Department of State Services, Marilyn Ogar, Army, Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade and the Coordinator, National Information Centre, Mike Omeri.
The suspect is expected to face trial for terrorism along with other suspects that were arrested in connection with the blast which killed more than 70 people and injured over 120 others at Nyanya area of Abuja.
Ogwuche, on arrival was quickly taken to an unknown detention facility in the FCT by armed security operatives. Speaking to journalists, Omeri said that the Boko Haram operative would be interrogated and prosecuted. Ogwuche was said to be a deserter in the Nigerian Army.
He said, ?We have just successfully been able to secure his extradition from Sudan and he is back to his home country to answer questions.
The usual procedure will take place, he will be interrogated appropriately and charged to court when all the processes are concluded.
The fight against insurgency and the effort to get our girls back is top priority of the Federal Government.?
Ogwuche had been held in Sudan since he was declared wanted by the Department of State Security which identified him as the mastermind of the blast along with one Rufai Tsiga, who is still at large.
He was a student of Arabic Language at the International University of Africa, Sudan. Before his arrest and detention in Sudan by Interpol, the Department of State Security, had on May 11, 2014, announced a N25m reward for anyone who could give information that could lead to the arrest of Ogwuche and Tsiga.
The service had also paraded five suspects including Ahmad Abubakar, 43; Muhammed Ishaq, 30; Yau Saidu, 28; Anas Isah, 22; and Adamu Yusuf, a cleric, 43, for their involvement in the bombing.
Ogar had described Ogwuche, who was born in the United Kingdom, as an Army deserter, who served in the Intelligence Unit of the Nigerian Army at Child Avenue, Arakan Barracks, Lagos, between 2001 and 2006.
The suspect was arrested on November 12, 2011 at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on arrival from the UK for suspected involvement in terrorism-related activities, but was subsequently released by the SSS after much pressures from the human rights community.

Advertisements

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.