Four more members of terror group Boko Haram have been arrested in Nigeria, as the military proves resolute in smoking out remnants of the group across the country.
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday said the four suspected Boko Haram fighters were arrested in the latest operation by troops.
Army spokesman Sani Usman said the fleeing suspects were arrested in the northeastern state of Yobe, one of the three states known to be worst-hit by the terror group.
They were arrested on Monday after they had fled their hideout in Damboa district of Borno, Usman said.
According to him, the suspects claimed they fled their hideout “due to the unbearable military onslaughts and bombardments on their various locations.”
In Abuja, the nation’s capital, local police on Monday said it nabbed a member of the group, suspected of planning a deadly attack in the city.
The 20-year-old suspect identified as Seth Yakubu was arrested in Gwagwalada, located on the outskirts of Abuja, on Sunday.
Musa Kimo, head of the local police in Abuja told Xinhua the suspect, who confessed his membership of Boko Haram, had escaped to Abuja from the group’s Sambisa Forest training camp after being dislodged by the Nigerian military.
The police arrested him after a tip-off by local residents.
According to Kimo, the suspect has confessed to being the second-in-command in his unit and to have “actively participated in several deadly attacks by the group.”
The Boko Haram suspect had told investigators that he was lured to join the group in October 2016 with a promise of an automatic enlistment into the Nigerian Army.
Kimo said the suspect would be arraigned in court after completion of police’s investigation.
Several hundreds of Boko Haram members either surrendered or were arrested by security operatives in recent weeks, renewing hope that the days of terror were soon to be over in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.
Just last week, a senior Boko Haram terrorist named Konto Fanami and three others surrendered to Nigerian troops in the restive northeastern state of Borno.
The four terrorists willingly deserted their hideouts and surrendered themselves to 120 Task Force Battalion at Goniri in Borno, according to the army spokesperson.
“During preliminary interrogation, they confirmed that they abandoned the terrorism because of incessant hardship and realizing that they were misled by their terrorist group leaders,” the army spokesman told journalists.
“They further stated they were also erroneously misinformed and brainwashed about Islam and the Nigerian military and the society generally,” he said.
Early this month, about 700 Boko Haram fighters in the restive Borno state surrendered to government forces.
Last month, more than 54 Boko Haram suspects were arrested in the southern state of Edo and the northwestern Kano city.
Local police arrested 24 Boko Haram suspects who disguised as herdsmen in Auchi Town of Edo State on June 12.
The arrested suspects were alleged to be planning a major attack in the town.
On June 25, some 30 other suspects, including a deputy commander of the terror group, were arrested by the country’s secret police in Kano.
They were arrested while planning coordinated attacks during last month’s Sallah festivity in the city of Kano and other major northern cities, authorities said.
The Nigerian army said it will extend an olive branch to other remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists who renounce the devilish creed, noting adequate arrangements had been made to receive all those that voluntarily renounced terrorism and surrendered themselves.
At least 1,400 suspected members of Boko Haram are currently held in a detention center in the country’s northeast region.
Despite the armed forces and other security agencies’ efforts to wipe out the deadly group, Boko Haram, however, still proves to be a hard nut to crack.
Day in, day out, the group continues to launch suicide attacks in the country, especially in the northeast region.
At least seven people were killed following two suicide blasts which rocked two internally displaced persons (IDP) camps near Nigeria’s northeastern city of Maiduguri late Sunday.
Some 15 people were also injured in the blasts, the latest in several attacks by the terror group in recent times.
Last weekend, Nigeria’s army chief Tukur Buratai directed troops to capture Abubakar Shekau, the self-styled leader of Boko Haram, “dead or alive.”
He commanded the troops to employ all arsenal at their disposal to smoke out Shekau wherever he is hiding in Nigeria.
Boko Haram has been blamed for the deaths of more than 20,000 people and displacing of 2.3 million others in Nigeria since their insurgency started in 2009. Enditem