Nigerian military on Wednesday vowed to pursue Boko Haram terrorists after the Tuesday attack that killed innocent women and children in a village in the restive northeast state of Borno.
Sagir Musa, spokesman for the Nigerian Army, in a statement reaching Xinhua in Lagos, said troops will track, capture or eliminate all the terrorists, bandits, and their collaborators in the northern states of Borno, Katsina and Sokoto.
Musa said the army authorities were deeply saddened by the unfortunate incident, adding that the attack was done with the aid of the terrorists’ sleeper cells within communities.
The army spokesperson said a large contingent of military personnel had been drafted in the general area to track and apprehend or neutralize the perpetrators.
He added that the authorities had also mandated the special military command to enhance security, dominate the area, and reassure the affected communities of the army’s commitment to protecting them.
On the fight against bandits in the northwest, Musa assured that the nation’s security agencies and the governments of the affected states would make efforts to clear all known bandits’ hideouts in those states.
He added that more troops were being mobilized as directed by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Nigeria has been grappling with security challenges, with the over-a-decade insurgency of Boko Haram in the northeast, and frequent armed attacks by militants in the northwest.
Nigerian troops have recently intensified efforts to calm the situation with a series of operations against the armed groups in the northwest.