released schoolgirls
released schoolgirls

Nigeria’s north-central state of Niger has announced a decision to close all public secondary schools in the state for two weeks pending security assessment starting Friday, an official said Thursday.

The decision followed talks with officials from various security agencies in the state, said Hannatu Salihu, the state commissioner for education, while addressing reporters in Minna, the state capital.

Although some secondary schools had been closed earlier in four local government areas declared high risk in the state following the Kagara school abduction, Salihu said the two-week closure of all secondary schools was necessary to give relevant security agencies the time and opportunity to conduct a comprehensive risk assessment.

Salihu said the comprehensive risk assessment exercise, when completed, will provide an all-inclusive mechanism and strategies that will restore and guarantee sustainable security and safety of students, school infrastructure, education managers and teachers.

She called for the understanding and support of education actors, parents and communities while reiterating the government’s resolve to leave no stone unturned in ensuring all schools in the state are safe environments for effective teaching and learning.

On Feb. 17, a group of gunmen stormed the boarding school in Kagara town of the Rafi local government area of the Niger state, abducting 42 people, including 27 students, three school staffers, and 12 family members of school staff, and killing one student. Enditem

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

Previous articleEnsure peace, law and order in Ghana – President urges ministers
Next articleZambia refutes reports of inadequate storage facilities for COVID-19 vaccine
Xinhua News Agency, Xinhuanet is an important central news service-oriented website, an important information organ of the central government, and an important platform for building up China's online international communication capacity. Established on November 7, 1997, as an online news provider of the Xinhua News Agency, it was officially named Xinhuanet on March 10, 2000 and began around-the-clock news release with leading online public opinion at home and setting a good image of China abroad as its main task.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here