Nigerian troops operating in northeastern Yobe State has repelled an attempted attack by suspected Boko Haram militants on a village on Saturday.
Kayode Ogunsanya, a spokesperson for the Nigerian Army, who confirmed the attack to reporters in Damaturu, the state capital, could not immediately give details of the operation.
The attack came after an incident on Sasawa, Yobe State by Boko Haram last week, during which soldiers were killed and their gun trucks taken away.
The UN had said three local governments in Borno state were inaccessible due to the activities of Boko Haram.
A local journalist told Xinhua that soldiers had been on red alert since the attack on Sasawa village last Tuesday.
“It did not take long when we heard the soldiers chanting victory songs, indicating that they were successful over the insurgents,” he said.
Two attacks were recorded in less than a week after a long period of relative peace enjoyed across the state. Enditem