Nigeria’s external debt in 2016 stands at US$11 billion


Nigeria’s external debt in 2016 was 11.41 billion U.S. dollars, the official news agency reported on Wednesday, citing data from the National Bureau of Statistics.

The national government’s debt accounted for 68.72 percent of Nigeria’s total foreign debt while all states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) accounted for the remaining 31.28 percent, the bureau of statistics said.

Nigeria’s external debts rose to 11.26 billion U.S. dollars as of June last year, representing an increase of more than 9 percent from 10.32 billion U.S. dollars registered a year earlier to that time.

The west African country’s domestic debts have also increased since last year, according to the national statistics’ office. Enditem

Source: Xinhua/

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News