No South African killed in Tunisia terror attack

0
177

The South African government on Friday refuted press reports that a South African was among those killed in the terror attack in Tunisia. Tunisia map
Only one South African was injured during the attack on a museum in the Tunisian capital Tunis on Wednesday, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) said.
Press reports said earlier that several South African citizens might be among those affected, including one who was killed.
DIRCO spokesperson Clayson Monyela said only one female South African was injured as officially confirmed. He did not identify the woman.
“There is a South African lady that was injured. Her husband is with her. Our embassy officials have visited her in hospital. We are in touch with local authority as well as their family and we would like to take this opportunity to wish her a speedy recovery, ” Monyela said.
A group of gunmen attacked the Bardo Museum in Tunis, killing more than 20 people, including 17 tourists in what was believed to be the most serious attack in Tunisia in years.
On Thursday, Deputy Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Luwellyn Landers reiterated his government’s stance that terrorism in any form and from whichever quarter cannot be condoned.
South Africa will continue to support regional and international efforts to address the scourge of terrorism in all its forms, including working through relevant forums such as the African Union Peace and Security Council, of which South Africa is a member state, Landers said. Enditem

Source: Xinhua

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here