No Zambians living in South Africa have been attacked amid the xenophobic violence, the government said on Wednesday.
Zambia’s chief government spokesperson, Chishimba Kambwili, said reports so far show that no Zambians have been affected by the attacks on foreigners in South Africa.
The official condemned the violence, adding that the South Africans “must realize that the world is now a global village which calls for co-existence.”
A number of foreigners operating their business in South Africa have been attacked by local people, with some deaths reported.
The recent spate of violence erupted on March 25 in Isipingo, an impoverished township near the coastal city of Durban and has so far spread to nearby towns.
The South African government has since set up a team to curb attacks on foreigners while a number of foreigners have reportedly taken arms to defend themselves against looters.
Official figures have shown more than 100 foreign-owned shops were burnt and thousands of foreigners displaced amid the violence. Enditem