PAC Report On Public Accounts Of Ghana Adopted By Parliament

0
Ghana Parliament
Ghana Parliament
Spining

Parliament has adopted the Public Accounts Committee’s (PAC) report on the report of the Auditor-General on the Public Accounts of Ghana for the financial year ended 31st December, 2018.

Dr James Klutse Avedzi, the Chairman of PAC, presented the report to the House, which covered Pre-university Educational Institutions; Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs); and Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assembles (MMDAs).

Touching on the Pre-university Educational Institutions, Dr Avedzi said the findings of the Auditor-General’s Report related to cash irregularities, procurement/stores irregularities, tax irregularities, payroll irregularities and contract irregularities.

He said the overall impact of the irregularities amounted to GH¢12.7 million in 2018 compared to GH¢28.5 million in 2017.

He said Committee noted that the irregularities discovered by the Auditor-General decreased from GH¢28.5 million in 2017 to GH¢12.7 million as recorded in the 2018, representing a 55.26 per cent decrease.

Concerning the report on the MMDAs, Dr Avedzi said the Committee noted that the total value of irregularities in the Auditor-General’s report was overstated by GH¢47,040.00.

He said this brings the total infraction down to GH¢29,690,190.17 from GH¢29,737,230.17 as stated in the Auditor-General’s report.

He said the error affected the value of irregularities regarding unpaid rent and unaccounted value books as identified by the Auditor-General.

He explained that the overstatement of GH¢47,040.00 in the 2018 Auditor-General’s report include Akuapem South District Assembly – unpaid rent as irregularity was GH¢7,040.00, however, the actual value of irregularity was GH¢0.00.

He also cited the Akatsi South District Assembly – the irregularity was unaccounted value book was GH¢40,000.00 but the actual value of irregularity was GH¢0.00.

On the status of implementation of the Auditor-General’s recommendations, Dr Avedzi said the Committee noted that a number of the infractions uncovered by the Auditor-General had been addressed by the Assemblies prior to appearance before the Committee.

He said at the time of Committee sitting, affected Assemblies had either regularized the transactions or refunded monies expended without due regard to laid down regulations.
He said a total of GH¢28.3 million or 95.61 per cent out of a total infraction of 29.6 million was resolved leaving a balance of GH¢1.3 million or 4.39 per cent.

The Committee further noted that the infractions were resolved through direct cash refunds/payments, presentation of supporting documents to authenticate payments and general compliance with financial management rules and regulations as recommended by the Auditor-General.
The Committee recommended that outstanding amounts should be recovered from the officers involved.

“The committee also recommends sanctions for officers whose actions or inactions resulted in the malfeasance notwithstanding whether the malfeasance was rectified or not in accordance with regulation 8(4) of the Financial Administration Regulations.”

With regards to the report on MDAs, Dr Avedzi said the significant findings of the Auditor-General in his report bordered on tax irregularities, cash irregularities, outstanding loans/advances, payroll irregularities, stores/procurement irregularities, and rent and contract irregularities.

He said the overall impact of the irregularities amounted to GH¢5.2 million, adding that the Committee noted that the irregularities rose significantly from GH¢892,396,375.19 million in 2017 to GH¢5,196,043,399.94 billion recorded in 2018; thus representing 482.26 per cent increase in financial value irregularities.

Mrs Abena Osei-Asare, a Deputy Minister of Finance, commended PAC for its contributions towards combating corruption in the country.

Send your news stories to newsghana101@gmail.com and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807 Follow News Ghana on Google News Aviator

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here