Jeffery Akesah
Jeffery Akesah

The Ghana Police Service has lose track of some two fraudsters who defrauded a United States based Ghanaian student of a whooping sum of US$6,800, after the police granted them bail.

Jeffery Akesah
Jeffery Akesah

Jeffery Akessah and Ralph Larbi were arrested by the Ghana Police Service after a complaint had been lodged by Anna Coffie, a Master Degree in Public Health Student at the Syracus University in the US, against them.
Information gathered revealed that the two fraudsters, Jeffery Akessah and Ralph Larbi, who lived in Dansoman and work at East Legon, met the lady, Anna Coffie, in Accra during one of her holidays in Ghana in September 2013.
Sources further revealed that Jeffery Akessah had moved from his Dansoman residence to an unknown destination making it difficult for the police to track him down, but the victim’s family say, the police has failed in their duties by letting the two criminals off the hook.

The two escapees, were able to convince Anna Coffie to give them her US Bank Account and details for them to transfer some amount of money through that account to a partner’s account in the United States.
The lady, who did not suspect any fishy deal in the arrangement, allowed her account to be used as a conduit through which the two gentlemen transferred the US$6,800 for the lady to re-transfer into another person’s account in the US.

Unfortunately for her, the plan was to use her account to transfer the said amount and quickly reverse the transfer after the lady had already transfer it to their counterpart’s account.
This they perfectly did. The lady who was notified by her bank of the said transfer, quickly transfer the said amount into the person she was supposed to deliver the money to.

Unknown to her, Jeffery Akessah and Ralph Larbi who were informed by their colleague in the US of the save delivery of the said amount, quickly went to the bank and reverse the transfer, when the bank requested from them to pay charges of $400, the reversal was granted by the bank, even though the lady had already transferred the money into their accounts in the US.

It also emerged that the Bank deducted the charges which they (accused) were to pay, from the lady’s account.
However, after the transactions in September 2013, the lady received a notification from her Bank informing her about the transfer of the said amount and a deduction of US$6,8400 as charges paid on the transaction.
This development led to the closure of the lady’s account which eventually affected her education in the US since she was unable to pay her tuition as well as examination fees.

Anna Coffie returned to Ghana and lodged a complaint at the Greater Accra Regional Command of the Ghana Police Service, where the two culprits were arrested but detained for just a day and granted bail.
The case has since been on the shelves since the police service had failed to process the docket for Court.
Checks conducted at the Regional Police Command indicate that even though the two suspects were granted bail by sureties, the police has failed to arrest the sureties to enable them track down on the fraudsters.
It is alleged that some ‘big gurus’ stood as sureties to the fraudsters and the CID in charge of the case, Nancy at the Regional Police Long Room could not trace their whereabouts when the mother of the victim arrived in Ghana to follow up on the case.

When the Greater Accra Regional Police Commander, Christian Yohonu was contacted, he noted the only way by which the police could get themselves out of this case was to hand over the case to the court for prosecution and advised the family to do so.

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 234-972-832 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.