FILE - In this June 25, 2019, file photo, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during a news conference at the U.S. Embassy Kabul during an unannounced visit to Afghanistan. On Monday, March 23, 2020, Pompeo arrived in Kabul on an urgent visit to try to move forward a U.S. peace deal signed last month with the Taliban. Pompeo's trip to the Afghan capital comes despite the coronavirus pandemic, at a time when world leaders and statesmen are curtailing official travel. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo praised Indonesia on Thursday for its rejection of China’s claims in the disputed South China Sea.

Earlier this year, Indonesia expelled Chinese fishing and coastguard vessels that Jakarta said were encroaching on its exclusive economic zone off Natuna Islands.

Pompeo’s comment during his trip to Indonesia echo remarks made in previous stops on his four-nation Indo-Pacific tour, which has been seen as an effort to bolster ties and contain China’s growing influence in the region. He has already visited Sri Lanka, India and the Maldives.

“All law-abiding nations reject the unlawful claims made by the Chinese Communist Party in the South China Sea,” Pompeo told reporters after talks with Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi in Jakarta.

“We welcome the example Indonesia set with decisive action to safeguard its maritime sovereignty around the Natuna Islands,” he said.

“The South China Sea should be maintained as a stable and peaceful sea,” Retno said.

China claims nearly all of the South China Sea, provoking friction with other nations. The sea is also claimed in part by Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei and Taiwan.

Indonesia does not see itself as involved in the South China Sea dispute, but sees Beijing’s claims as a violation of international law.

Retno said in August that Indonesia does not want to be caught up in rivalries between Washington and Beijing, despite occasional tensions over the alleged incursions of Chinese fishing vessels and the deaths of over a dozen Indonesian sailors working on Chinese boats in the past year.

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

Previous articleUS backs South Korean candidate for World Trade Organization top job
Next articleTerrorists behind Mali hotel, restaurant attacks sentenced to death
The Ghana news Agency (GNA) was established on March 5, 1957, i.e. on the eve of Ghana's independence and charged with the "dissemination of truthful unbiased news". It was the first news agency to be established in Sub-Saharan Africa. GNA was part of a comprehensive communication policy that sought to harness the information arm of the state to build a viable, united and cohesive nation-state. GNA has therefore been operating in the unique role of mobilizing the citizens for nation building, economic and social development, national unity and integration.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here