The Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, Mrs Barbara Oteng Gyasi, on Thursday said the status quo on hospitality industry with regards to COVID-19 remains as directed by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.
Addressing the media at the Minister’s briefing series in Accra to clarify some directives in a press statement issued by the Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA), the Tourism Minister noted that the directive by the President regarding extension of ban on public gatherings still holds.
She said the GTA, per directives relating to the hospitality industry, indicated that food chains and restaurants could operate sit down services by observing social distancing protocols.
Mrs Oteng Gyasi said the GTA also said drinking bars could operate and also comply with the protocols on social distancing, but night clubs would remain closed.
However, the Minister refuted those directives saying the earlier directive by President Akufo-Addo pertaining to the industry remained the same and had not changed.
“To that effect, drinking bars and night clubs are not open, food chain restaurants can operate per the guidelines that had been given in respect of takeout and delivery services,” she said.
She indicated that hotels were exempted but they were to operate in accordance with the guidelines with respect to taking care of their guests within their premises.
“Hotels and restaurants cannot provide buffet, lunch, and dinner where people can congregate to have a meal, but they can take care of their guests while they are within by providing them with food.”
She urged all industry players to adhere to the directives, adding; “When we comply with all these directives, we are protecting ourselves and the public by ensuring that we do not have community spread.”