Photo taken on Jan. 22, 2020 shows an exterior view of the headquarters of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO on Wednesday night extended to Thursday its emergency talks on whether the novel coronavirus outbreak in China constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). (Xinhua/Liu Qu)

South African National Department of Health on Wednesday welcomed the arrival of experts from the World Health Organization (WHO).

The department’s spokesperson Popo Maja told Xinhua that the visit was good.

“We are happy with their arrival, we feel supported by the World Health Organization,” he said, adding most interactions would be virtual.

A total of 43 senior experts from across the globe will assist the country to refine its efforts against the pandemic.

South African Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said the visit was an opportunity to improve health strategies.

The team is to assess how South Africa’s response to COVID-19 pandemic has been going as the second wave of infection is expected at the end of August.

Three provinces including Gauteng, Western and Eastern Cape have experienced their first wave of infections, with positive infections in decline now.

South Africa has recorded over 520,000 COVID-19 cases so far with 8,884 fatalities. Enditem

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.