South Africa’s select committee on land and mineral resources on Monday called for “harsher consequences” on the Sibanye-Stillwater if they are found to have negligently caused the death of the seven miners.
Last week seven miners passed on while six were injured in Sibanye Stillwater following a seismic event. The committee called for a tough action if the mine flouted some safety regulations.
“Although seismic events are a course of nature, it is high time that mining companies face serious consequences for neglecting measures for detecting early warning signs. Investigations on the accident should seek to establish the extent to which priority was given to health and safety at the mine,” said Olefile Sefako, chairperson of the committee.
The committee said they believe the right technology for detecting early signs of seismic events could be found if sufficient resources to conduct research were to be made available.
Sibanye Stillwater on Monday said the six miners were rescued, taken to the hospital and in stable conditions. The mining company said the have assisted the affected families with counseling.
Neal Froneman, CEO of Sibanye-Stillwater, said, “The health and safety of our people is paramount and we remain committed to taking any actions necessary, which will support our quest for zero harm in the workplace. Our deep level mining layouts and support systems are designed to cater for this level of seismicity. I assure you we will be conducting a comprehensive investigation into this incident. We want in order to establish the cause of the incident and what actions need to be taken, to ensure this never happens again.”
The department of mineral resources and other stakeholders will on May 12 inspect the mine. Enditem