Sacked Police Officer Cries For Reinstatement

Ex-General Constable Andrews Yankey has appealed to President John Dramani Mahama and Mr John Kudalor, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to intervene to let the Police Administration reinstate him.

Ghana Police Logo
Ghana Police Logo

He said despite a Sunyani Circuit Court’s ruling for his reinstatement over four years ago, the Police Administration has not acted accordingly.

Ghana Police Logo
Ghana Police Logo

Ex-G/Constable Yankey, staff number 38181 and formerly with the Dragon Unit of the Ghana Police Service in Sunyani made the appeal in Sunyani.

He said it had become necessary to appeal public because there had not been a response to any of his two petitions to the IGP on 5th July 2012 and the Minister of Interior on 16th December 2013.

Mr. Yankey said each of the petitions was channeled through the Brong-Ahafo Regional Police Command.

He said before the court action against him, the Police Administration in February 2008 instituted a Committee of Inquiry into the incident, upon which he was interdicted to await the outcome of the Committee’s findings.

“But surprisingly the outcome of the Service Inquiry since mid-March 2008 has not as yet been made known to me”, Mr. Yankey said, adding that “around that time I received a letter of dismissal from the Police Administration”.

Narrating his ordeal, ex-G/Constable Yankey said he could not understand why the Police Administration had not acted on the Sunyani Circuit Court’s order for his reinstatement, after interdiction/dismissal for over eight years now.

On the case itself Mr. Yankey said in January 2008, at the late Inspector Addae’s funeral at Asuoye, near Techiman in the Brong-Ahafo Region, he participated in the shooting into the air display by the Police personnel as a sign of honour to their deceased colleague.

He said the incident allegedly resulted in the killing of two people, Opanin Kwaku Nyamekye and Opanin Kwaku Addae whilst two Police personnel, Constables Stephen Owusu-Ansah and Prince Amaniampong who were injured in the process were sent to the hospital, treated and discharged.

He said he was arrested and charged for shooting indiscriminately and was sent to court on a charge of “negligently causing harm”.

But after almost four years of the trial, he said the Sunyani Circuit Court, presided by Mr. John Ekow Mensah found him not guilty of the offence and therefore acquitted and discharged him.

In the Court’s ruling of June 12, 2012, certified true copies made available to the Media, the trial judge stated “There is no evidence before this Court to suggest that accused person voluntarily did the alleged shooting”.

“Accused evidence that someone banged onto him, resulting in the gun falling onto the ground has not been challenged in anyway”, the Court said and added that “The essential ingredients that action done by the accused should be voluntary have been proved”.

The Court therefore ruled, “Based upon the above findings the Court finds the accused person not guilty to the four counts on negligently causing harm and acquitted and discharged”

“As a family man with a wife and four children, the challenge of financial hardship that has confronted me since my interdiction/dismissal in February 2008 has greatly affected our survival and therefore the only option for me now is to seek the intervention of the President and the IGP”, ex-G/Constable Yankey said.

Source: GNA


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here