The MTN Ghana Foundation has collected 4,449 pints of blood at its 8th annual “Save a Life” blood donation campaign, exceeding its target of 3,500 pints.
The annual exercise gives staff of MTN, trade partners and the general public the opportunity to show love on Valentine’s Day by donating a pint of blood to help stock various blood banks across the country. This year’s blood donation exercise had 19 bleeding centers in all the 10 regions of Ghana.
The blood collected went directly to the National Blood Service, 37 Military Hospital, Ridge Hospital and respective regional hospitals. At the end of the exercise, the following number of pints were collected from the various regions:
• Brong Ahafo ( Victoria Park, Sunyani SHS, Techiman SHS and Camel SHS) – 984
• Northern Region – Forecourt, Tamale Regional Library – 669
• Western Region ( Shama SHS, Sekondi College and Tarkwa SHS) – 514
• Ashanti Region ( Opoku Ware SHS and St Louis SHS) – 404
• Upper East Region – (Ramsey Park and Bolga Girls SHS) – 418
• Greater Accra Region ( MTN House and MTN Office Graphic Road) – 412
• Central Region Adisadel College – 350
• Upper West – Ministries Park, Wa – 311
• Eastern Region (Pope John SHS) – 235
• Volta Region ( Awudome SHS) – 152
Commenting on the blood donation campaign, the Corporate Services Executive, Mr. Samuel Koranteng said the exercise was a huge success due to the concerted support received from all partners and blood donors across the country. “I will like to use this opportunity to thank all who supported in various ways to ensure we collected blood to serve our objective of saving lives”
The MTN Ghana Foundation instituted the annual blood donation exercise, dubbed “Save a Life” campaign, in 2011 to support the restocking of blood at select blood banks. The program was initiated by MTN Ghana as part of the company’s corporate social investments activities. From 2011 to 2018, over 9,500 pints have been collected. The blood donation exercise was also initiated as part of MTN’s focus on health.
In recognition for its efforts, the MTN Ghana Foundation was adjudged the highest corporate blood donor in 2013, second highest corporate donor in 2014 and one of the highest corporate donors in 2015.