Britain
Britain

dpa/GNA – The British government is considering a crackdown on people smugglers who bring undocumented migrants across the English Channel, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

“It is outrageous that the gangsters, the people smugglers, these thugs, are still putting people’s lives at risks in the way that they are, taking money to help people cross the Channel in unseaworthy vessels, risking their lives,” he told reporters on Monday, according to British news agency PA Media.

“What we are going to do is to absolutely, ruthlessly stiffen the sentences for anybody who is involved in this kind of people smuggling and trafficking human beings across the Channel.”

He also added that the British government was working with the French authorities to tackle the issue.

It comes after the British Home Secretary was reportedly planning to raise the sentence for people smuggling in Britain to life imprisonment.

The average length of imprisonment for the offence is three years – with the maximum sentence being 14 years – but Patel wants to upgrade the maximum term to life, according to a report in the British newspaper, The Times, on Monday.

A government source reportedly told the newspaper there were no plans for a minimum mandatory sentence, but added: “If you put it up at the top end, the hope is those currently getting three or four years now will be significantly increased.”

According to Home Office statistics, 14,773 people were placed in immigration detention – where they are detained while they wait for permission to enter Britain or before they are deported – last year.

They added that while the figures were partly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, there has been a general downward trend since 2015 of the number of people entering detention in Britain. In that year, it peaked at more than 32,000.

Iranians made up the greatest group in detention last year, followed by Albanians.

Most nationalities saw a drop in the number of people being detained, but the number of Eritreans, Sudanese and Syrians increased.

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

Previous articleUnited Nations appeals for US$3.85 billion as Yemen faces famine
Next articleUN Boss: Yemeni families face ‘death sentence’ if famine aid is cut
The Ghana news Agency (GNA) was established on March 5, 1957, i.e. on the eve of Ghana's independence and charged with the "dissemination of truthful unbiased news". It was the first news agency to be established in Sub-Saharan Africa. GNA was part of a comprehensive communication policy that sought to harness the information arm of the state to build a viable, united and cohesive nation-state. GNA has therefore been operating in the unique role of mobilizing the citizens for nation building, economic and social development, national unity and integration.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here