The Somali government has denied claims that its troops had participated in fighting during the conflict in northern Ethiopia’s Tigray region.
Osman Dubbe, minister for information said that the reports saying Somali forces fighting alongside Ethiopian National Defense Forces (ENDF) in Tigray region are baseless.
“The federal government strongly denies such information. Our forces are not fighting inside Ethiopia,” Dubbe told the state-owned television on Monday evening.
Local media reported that some 370 Somali troops took part in the fighting with only 180 of them surviving the conflict.
Dubbe said such media reports are fabricated and also dismissed reports that the Somali forces are being trained in some countries.
“There are no Somali forces trained in other countries that were sent to a conflict area,” the minister said, adding that Ethiopia did not request troops from Somalia either.
Weeks of fighting that started in November last year in northern Ethiopia’s Tigray between the TPLF, which used to rule the regional state until its defeat, and the ENDF have reportedly left hundreds of people dead, thousands displaced, and millions in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. Enditem