Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday reiterated his intention to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq but gave no detailed timeline.

Speaking to reporters in the White House with visiting Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, Trump said that “we have been taking our troops out of Iraq fairly rapidly, and we look forward to the day when we don’t have to be there.”

“At some point, we obviously will be gone. We’ve brought it down to a very, very low level,” Trump added when asked if the United States would pull troops out of Iraq in three years.

Pressed by reporters on the timeframe of the full withdrawal from Iraq, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vaguely replied that a complete pullout would take place “as soon as we complete the mission.”

The chief diplomat noted that Washington is working with Baghdad “to get our forces down to the lowest level as quickly as we possibly can.”

Commander of U.S. Central Command Kenneth McKenzie said at a think tank event earlier this month that he expected U.S. military to maintain a long-term presence in Iraq to help fight Islamic extremists and to check Iranian influence in the country.

The two countries held a strategic dialogue this June, the joint statement of which said that the United States would reduce forces from Iraq over the coming months.

Currently, there are over 5,000 U.S. troops deployed in Iraq to support Iraqi forces in battles against remnants of the Islamic State, mainly for training and advisory purposes.

Citing U.S. officials, The New York Times reported last week that U.S. and Iraqi officials had resumed discussions this month that could lead to a reduction to around 3,500 U.S. troops.

U.S. killing of Qassem Soleimani, former commander of the Quds Force of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, at Baghdad airport in early January strained its relations with Iraq. The Iraqi parliament passed a resolution on Jan. 5 requiring the government to end the presence of foreign forces in Iraq.

The military bases housing U.S. troops across Iraq and other U.S. facilities have been frequently targeted by mortar and rocket attacks in recent months. Enditem

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.