The Technical University Teachers Association of Ghana (TUTAG), Local Chapter have descended heavily on the management for failing to address pertinent issues hampering teaching and learning in the school.
As a result of this, they have decided to withdraw all teaching and related services with immediate effect.
Addressing Journalists at a press conference in Accra, the Local Chairman of TUTAG Dr. Jones Adjei Ntiamoah, stated unequivocally that the Local Executives of ATU earlier notified the management on September 4, 2017 to fix basic teaching and learning facilities; but the management turned a deaf ears to their plight.
According to him, they have by consensus decided to withdraw all teaching and related services with immediate effect.
“The following reasons informed our decision:
Student numbers in ATU far outnumber furniture provisions in the lecture halls.
The lecture halls, where lecturers practice their daily trade are in a very appalling conditions.
• There are only few Public Address systems in some of the lecture halls and lecturers have to shout on top of their voices to the very large class audiences.
There are only few projectors to facilitate teaching and learning.
• The furniture in the classrooms are woefully inadequate with student moving chairs from one lecture hall to the other. Lecturers have no seat in the lecture halls to even place their laptops.
• The classrooms are always over-crowded and lectures are held under very poor conditions. There are serious congestion levels in all of the lecture theatres.
• The washrooms are not enough and the few ones available are not fit for use. The unsanitary conditions associated with the lecture halls leave much to desire.
• There are very poor lighting systems in the lecture halls and within the stairs cases, making it very difficult to teach part-time students in the evening.
Fans and electrical sockets are not just working, so that even if a lecturer has a projector, he she can hardly use it.
• The lecture halls appear over- used, dilapidated and not been painted for a long time.
• Our Science laboratories are ill-equipped and lack basic materials to facilitate teaching and learning.
• The Science Laboratory Technology, Engineering and Hotel Catering and Institutional Management departments, lack basic equipment and materials to facilitate the provision and practice of technical education”, Dr. Ntiamoah enumerated.
This he said, the Management have been holding meetings under air- conditioned and cozy environment and also receive allowances while lecturers and students suffer the heat within the congested lecture halls.
“These are the key reasons we have resolved to withdraw all teaching and learning related services”, he added
By: Isaac Kofi Dzokpo/Newsghana.com.gh