Coronavirus
Coronavirus

The world is now in a battle against COVID-19, a disease caused by a previously unknown coronavirus that has spread to over 200 countries and regions.

The following are the updates on the contagious disease:
– – – –

NEW YORK — The total number of deaths of COVID-19 in the United States has topped 11,000 as of 1020 a.m. Tuesday local time (1420 GMT), according to data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.

A total of 11,008 people have died of the pandemic among 368,533 confirmed cases in the country, the CSSE said.
– – – –

GENEVA — More than four out of five people, or 81 percent in the global workforce of 3.3 billion are currently affected by full or partial workplace closures due to COVID-19 pandemic, according to a report of the International Labour Organization (ILO) published here on Tuesday.

The ILO’s updated report on COVID-19 and the world of work described the pandemic as “the worst global crisis since World War II,” expecting the crisis to wipe out 6.7 percent of working hours globally in the second quarter of 2020 — equivalent to 195 million full-time workers.
– – – –

NEW DELHI — India’s federal health ministry Tuesday evening said the death toll due to COVID-19 in India rose to 124 and the total number of confirmed cases reached 4,789.

“As on 6:00 p.m local time today, 124 deaths related to novel coronavirus have been recorded in the country,” reads the information released by the health ministry.
– – – –

MOSCOW — A snap check carried out by the Russian Defense Ministry has shown that the country’s Armed Forces are ready to combat COVID-19, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Tuesday.

The check carried out between March 25-28 involved military control bodies, formations, units of the Western and Central Military Districts, Aerospace Forces, Strategic Missile Forces, units of radiation, chemical and biological defense, engineering troops and individual medical support units.
– – – –

CAIRO — Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi announced on Tuesday a package of financial stimulus to limit the impact of the novel coronavirus outbreak on the citizens.

“The measures include 100 billion Egyptian pounds (6.3 billion U.S. dollars) of soft loans provided by the Central Bank of Egypt with a five-percent interest rate for the manufacturing sector,” al-Sisi said in a televised comment.
– – – –

BANGKOK — The Thai cabinet on Tuesday decided to re-open schools from July 1 instead of May 16, to avoid the COVID-19 outbreak.

As the number of daily COVID-19 infections increased since February, the Thai government as recommended by the Ministry of Education, ordered the closure of all local and international schools and universities in Thailand from March 18 to help control the spread of COVID-19.
– – – –

TEHRAN — Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Turkish counterpart on Tuesday discussed the means of cooperation to control COVID-19 spread in both countries, official IRNA news agency reported.

In his telephone conversation with Mevlut Cavusoglu, Zarif extended Iran’s sympathy over the fatalities in Turkey during the pandemic.
– – – –

BEIJING — Wuhan, the Chinese city hardest hit by the COVID-19 outbreak, had only 181 patients in serious conditions, with 71 being critically ill, as of Monday, dropping from a peak of over 9,000 cases, a health official said Tuesday.

“Notable results have been achieved. However, there are still great difficulties in the treatment of severe patients,” Guo Yanhong, the National Health Commission official, said at a press conference, stressing that China has gone all out to save more lives.
– – – –

LONDON — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is “stable” in hospital and has not been diagnosed with pneumonia, a Downing Street spokesman said Tuesday.

“The prime minister has been stable overnight and remains in good spirits,” said the spokesman in a statement.
– – – –

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN — Brunei reported no new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, marking the third day in a row without new cases since the first case was detected on March 9.

According to Brunei’s Ministry of Health, the total number of COVID-19 cases in Brunei remained at 135. Three more patients have recovered, bringing the total recovered cases to 85. Enditem

Advertisements

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 234-972-832 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.