While most people are taking measures to avoid the invisible novel coronavirus that has claimed over 1,000 lives in China, Bu Ge has been in intimate contact with it at least eight hours a day over the past three weeks.

The virus sits in his hands and fills the air in his laboratory — which perhaps is the riskiest venue in the megacity of Fuyang, east China’s Anhui Province. Bu is responsible for nucleic acid detection.

Soon his goggles fog, and he has to keep his eyes wide open to continue testing. “We are extremely strained. The density of the virus here is much higher than in a hospital, and we must make sure the hazmat suits are worn properly,” said Bu.

Shrouded in two layers of hazmat suits together with an N95 mask, a pair of medical goggles, latex gloves and waterproof protective boots, Bu works for eight hours in a row at a constant temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. By the end of the day, he is drenched in sweat.

“Just putting the outfit on takes over 20 minutes, so many of us would rather wear diapers than go through the hassle of going to the toilet,” he said.

Nucleic acid detection has been the most important method to screen the latent virus in the body of a patient since the outbreak, but it was not as easy as people thought.

Bu’s first confirmation of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (NCP) took six days. The first specimen was delivered to his lab on Jan. 15, when they had no NCP detection reagent.

Bu and his colleagues ruled out all possibilities — ordinary flu, bird flu, SARS, MERS and respiratory syncytial virus. They sent the specimen to the provincial center for disease control and prevention (CDC) the next day for an NCP detection, and again it was negative.

They continued the tests with two kinds of reagents and three methods to extract nucleic acid, and the specimen finally tested positive for NCP in the early hours of Jan. 22. It was the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in Fuyang.

The workflow of a nucleic acid detector is highly risky. They have to open the cap to culture the virus by mixing the cells with nutrients in a big jar and swirling, during which a large quantity of aerosols that are extremely contagious will be generated.

“To be honest, I thought the epidemic was still faraway until I began detecting nucleic acid myself. When I’m working, I can really feel how tight the fight against the virus is,” said Bu.

“Each case requires at least three nucleic acid tests to confirm, so their workload is very heavy, and they must concentrate as the number of suspected cases keeps going up,” said Hu Yunkai, director of Fuyang’s CDC.

Meng Zhaoqian, Bu’s wife and colleague, rubbed her nose bridge and cheekbones after taking off her gown. “My face really hurts after wearing goggles and masks for so long,” she said. The two take turns to go home and rest to avoid cross-contamination.

As of Feb. 8, the laboratory has tested nearly 800 samples and more are yet to come. Enditem

Disclaimer: News Ghana is not responsible for the reportage or opinions of contributors published on the website.

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +1-508-812-0505 

Previous articleUganda airlifts pesticides, spray equipment to locust-infested region
Next articleWHO gives official name for novel coronavirus
Xinhua News Agency, Xinhuanet is an important central news service-oriented website, an important information organ of the central government, and an important platform for building up China's online international communication capacity. Established on November 7, 1997, as an online news provider of the Xinhua News Agency, it was officially named Xinhuanet on March 10, 2000 and began around-the-clock news release with leading online public opinion at home and setting a good image of China abroad as its main task.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here