Wladimir Klitschko Dismisses Claims Of Retirements

Wladimir Klitschko says he plans "a few big spectacular fights" still and dismisses talk of retirement from the ring although he will be 41 next year.

0
132
AFP/File / Dibyangshu Sarkar Critics say the mixed martial arts, judo, kick boxing and other clubs are ideal for fomenting radicalisation and jihadist training
AFP/File / Dibyangshu Sarkar Critics say the mixed martial arts, judo, kick boxing and other clubs are ideal for fomenting radicalisation and jihadist training

After losing his world heavyweight titles to Tyson Fury last November, Klitschko has faced his longest break from the ring.

But the Hamburg-based Ukrainian said he planned to box on, pointing out that his brother Vitali fought until 41 and only then retired to take up a political career.

“There will still be a few big spectacular fights with me in the ring,” he told Germany’s Bild newspaper published on Wednesday.

He added: “I haven’t yet thought of stopping, not even with the defeat (to Fury) and the loss of my belts.

“As long as I can perform in the ring, am healthy and motivated, I will continue.”

Fury had his licence suspended by British authorities earlier this month after vacating his heavyweight titles to focus on what his management called recovery from “a serious medical condition.”

The British Boxing Board of Control said Fury’s licence was suspended pending “further investigation into anti-doping and medical issues.”

Klitschko hat planned to fight on December 10 for one of the belts but that has now been shelved until next year.

A bout against Britain’s IBF champion Anthony Joshua is being considered for March or April. Klitschko turns 41 on March 25.

“That will be the biggest heavyweight fight for several years,” he said.

Source: dpa/GNA/NewsGhana.com.gh

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here