Woman Dies Over Ghana Defeat

Emelia Adwoa Asiedua
Emelia Adwoa Asiedua

“Oh Asamoah”, were the last words of Emelia Adwoa Aseidua who met her untimely death after Black Stars’ striker Asamoah Gyan missed a crucial penalty kick during Ghana’s quarter-final match with Uruguay in Soccer City, Johannesburg, South Africa last Friday.

Emelia, 32, whose body is at the Police Hospital morgue, was said to have collapsed on her husband at their Tabora residence in Accra, immediately Asamoah Gyan’s kick hit the crossbar in the dying seconds of extra time at the World Cup tournament.

“Immediately she shouted ‘Oh Asamoah’ she fell and died of shock,” a source at her residence said.

The crucial penalty, which was wasted by Asamoah Gyan, contributed greatly to the defeat of the Black Stars at the tournament.

Narrating the incident to DAILY GUIDE, the husband of the deceased, Kwesi Fosu,  said that he returned from work around 7:30 pm and met his wife sitting outside whilst the football match was going on.

“When I enquired from her why she was not watching the match, she explained to me that she could not withstand the pressure associated with it.”

Mr. Fosu said his wife then came inside the house to serve him his meal and returned to sit outside their chamber and hall apartment.

He noted that when the last penalty was awarded to Ghana in the last minute, Emelia, upon hearing the shouts of goal from fans, then rushed to the room to watch the penalty as Asamoah Gyan was taking it. “Immediately the ball hit the bar, my wife shouted ‘Oh Asamoah’ and fell on the bed.”

Kwesi Fosu said they quickly poured water on her, with the intention of reviving her but she succumbed to the icy hands of death.

“We rushed her to the Lapaz Community Hospital where we were told on arrival that she had already died,” Mr. Fosu stated.

He said his wife was in a perfect condition before he left for work, and they were even making preparations to travel the following Saturday to their hometown for a funeral.

“She had never complained of any heart disease before and was well before I left the house,” he maintained.

The landlady of the house, Madam Mercy Aba Cudjoe, said earlier that morning, Emelia woke up very early to scrub the house and even did some domestic chores before the rain stopped.

“There was no sign of sickness as she was very healthy,” she stressed.

Mercy left for the salon to get her hair done since she was travelling with the husband to Akuapim the following morning for a funeral, she added.

After the penalty shoot-out, the landlady heard shouts of the deceased’s name and came out only to find that she had been put in a taxi which had sped off to the Lapaz Community Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

By Linda Tenyah/Daily Guide

Send your news stories to [email protected] and via WhatsApp on +233 244244807
Follow News Ghana on Google News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here