Ghana were held 1-1 by 10 man Guinea in their last Group D game at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations in Franceville on Wednesday.

The Black Stars scored the first goal against the run of play through a stunning Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu shot while the Syli Nationale drew level through Abdoul Camara.

The Guineans started the game on a faster note as they dominated with their attacks, knowing they needed a win to qualify for the quarter-finals.

They played with a high defence line and held possession for longer against their opponents who needed only a draw to finish top of the group and avoid co-hosts Gabon in the last eight.

The Ghanaians, however, were content to soak up the pressure as they relied on counter-attacks to scare their opponents.

Against the run of play, the Black Stars took the lead on 28 minutes from only their second corner kick of the game when midfielder Agyemang-Badu shot into the net after good work from Andre Ayew. Ayew’s pass to Kwadwo Asamoah was tipped to Agyemang-Badu who flicked it up and rammed past Naby-Moussa Yattara in the Guinean goal for a goal of the tournament contender.

The Syli Nationale came out in search of an equaliser and could have gone behind when Asamoah Gyan’s penalty appeal was waved away when he was stopped by captain Kamil Zayatte.

The Guineans had their own opportunity to equalise when Thierno Bah’s lobbed shot was tipped over by Adam Kwarasey.

Samuel Inkoom saw his attempt narrowly go wide after his run alongside Gyan put the Guinean defence in disarray.

Guinea then capitalised as the first half entered added time when Abdoul Camara powered down the left beating John Pantsil for speed and crossed into the box only to beat Kwarasey who had left his line. It was the first time the Ghanaians had conceded in the tournament.

Ismael Bangoura saw his shot kept out by Kwarasey as the second half resumed on an equally fast note. The Guineans continued to dominate affairs in the middle, where Pascal Feindouno held sway.

The texture of the game changed on 70 minutes when Mamadou Bah was sent off for a second yellow card offence following his tackle on Pantsil.

Both teams then made changes through their squad as the clock wore down. Feindouno was replaced by Habib Balde, Ibrahim Traore went off for Alhassan Bangoura while the Ghanaians brought on Prince Tagoe and Derek Boateng for Gyan and Anthony Annan.

The draw was enough to see the Ghanaians finish on top of the table and they will now meet Tunisia in the quarter-finals.

But the Guineans will return home as Mali defeated Botswana 2-1 in the second game of the group. Mali will meet co-hosts Gabon in the last eight.

View the original article here



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.